Versar, Inc. Acquires Geo-Marine, Inc.
Versar, Inc. (NYSE MKT: VSR) has acquired Geo-Marine, Inc., a business with more than $20 million in annual revenues. The purchase price was paid with a combination of cash and seller notes. Geo-Marine, headquartered in Plano, Texas, provides engineering design, construction management, environmental planning and programming, and other services in support of a wide range of government, industry, and commercial clients.
VersarGMI's Mobile Avian Radar System® (MARS®) units have been used worldwide for applications such as avian assessments for onshore and offshore wind farms, and in the management of bird and wildlife hazards at airports. VersarGMI’s bird detection systems include modified radar systems utilizing commercial off-the-shelf equipment and custom engineered, tailor constructed systems.
VersarGMI’s pioneering Wildlife Remote Sensing and Technology program came online in 1994. We developed avian remote sensing systems to reduce bird strikes to aircraft and collect data for a variety of environmental applications. Since then, staff members have developed many innovative technologies and processes used to power state-of-the-art avian radar and bird detection systems such as MARS®.
VersarGMI has accomplished many milestones in the BASH industry and VersarGMI’s MARS® are leading the way in remote sensing systems for bird detection.
- 1st automatic vertical scanning radar for bird detection (2000)
- 1st real-time, on-airport bird detection and warning system (2003)
- 1st predictive algorithms to track migrating birds (2005)
- 1st post-processing analysis tools library
- 1st enhanced data visualization
VersarGMI continues to develop and refine systems to detect, quantify, and track bird activity. VersarGMI continues to research, modify, and increase capabilities of its products (e.g., MARS®), services, and technologies to provide excellence to its clients.
The VersarGMI wildlife remote sensing and technology team consists of:
- Radar ornithologists
- Environmental biologists
- Radar system engineers
- Software engineers
VersarGMI develops innovative technology and algorithms to power state-of-the-art radar-based bird detection systems and provide cost-effective methods to conduct avian and bat surveys, assessments, management planning, and training.
VersarGMI offers a full line of advanced wildlife remote sensing services, products, and technology for wildlife/bird studies, wildlife hazard assessments/management plans at airports, wind energy facilities, and tower and other development sites. VersarGMI’s MARS® bird detection systems support a wide range of safety and environmental protection applications.
The MARS® unit offers:
- Bird and bat activity and density assessments
- Large radar coverage area
- Detailed data resolution
- Recording of baseline activity and migratory events
- Effective day and night and in limited visibility
- Real-time data processing
- 24/7 automatic target archive to database
- Operations limited only by available power and data storage capacity
- Automatic clutter and interference suppression